Your search results

Hidden Dangers In Your Home

Posted by admin on June 20, 2016
| 0

The first hidden danger is in the kitchen. My first job, maybe like most people, was in the fast food industry. I was a cook at a nation-wide chain. I was proud to have a job and it helped me feel really independent. I began working in the food service industry. One of the most important things I took from that industry was the knowledge of food born illnesses. This is a very real danger and I wanted to educate people on some things they might not know about it. Salmonella and E. coli are huge threats. These two forms of bacteria can affect the intestinal tract, causing symptoms ranging from diarrhea to life-threatening dehydration. Humans are most often infected with salmonella after eating or handling contaminated raw foods, such as beef, poultry, eggs, fruits, and vegetables. Salmonella contamination can occur during harvesting, butchering, or preparation. E. coli infection may occur when you accidentally eat contaminated foods that weren’t properly cooked or cleaned. Cooking foods properly and not leaving food at food temperature for hours are the best defenses against these bacterias. Pay attention to expiration dates as well.

The second is a little easier to prevent nowadays. Carbon Monoxide poisoning. This flavorless, odorless gas gives no warning before making you very sick (think flu-like symptoms) and can even cause death. Each year, approximately 500 people die from this “silent” killer, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Contamination usually occurs when an organic fuel is burned without proper ventilation. Common sources of carbon monoxide include kerosene and gas space heaters, gas water heaters, wood stoves, fireplaces, automobile exhaust, and tobacco smoke. Carbon Monoxide detectors are now mandatory in rentals in California and many other states. These detectors are fairly inexpensive and very effective as long as the batteries are checked. It really could save your family’s lives.

More so in older homes, lead is a real threat. Exposure to this highly toxic metal has been associated with serious health problems that range from measurable changes in mental development and behavior to nerve disorders and other ailments. Although regulatory standards by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) have minimized or eliminated lead in consumer products since 1978, it remains in homes that haven’t been updated. Lead-based paints in older homes, household dust, drinking water (if you have lead pipes), and contaminated soil are the major sources of lead exposure. See if you have lead pipes and if your house was built before 1978 check into having the paint tested. Lead based-paint can be deadly.

The last one for the day is Mold. Mold also causes some serious health problems. These microscopic living organisms grow where moisture, oxygen, and organic material are present. You can expect to find mold in practically any damp area in your home with poor ventilation. Exposure to mold spores can cause nasal and sinus congestion, chronic cough, and eye irritation. According to the Mayo Clinic, it may also trigger asthma attacks and lung infections for those with chronic respiratory disease. When mold appears, take it seriously. Black mold is said to be the worst. Use a non-ammonia cleaner or dishwashing soap and water to remove mold. Wear gloves, long sleeves, pants, eye protectors, and a respirator to protect yourself from spores. After cleaning the mold, use a HEPA (high efficiency particulate absorbing) vacuum or air cleaner to eliminate mold spores from the air. For large areas, hire a professional cleaner. Discard carpet, drywall, insulation, and other items if they have been wet for more than two days.

Leave a Reply

Compare Listings